Monday, December 13, 2010

Bon Appétit


We have all been busy making Christmas gifts this week.  We will have a lot of projects to post in the next few days (I'm looking forward to Ashley's shutter project). In the meantime, I thought I would share my Christmas gift to my boys last year.  I turned a small wooden cabinet:  


into a kitchen…


I love reworking old furniture.   So when my mother in law gave me this piece, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  I patched, painted, spray painted the hardware, added wood coasters (painted black for the stove), and attached feet:

Then with my friends help, we added a sink and faucet.   We used a jigsaw to cut the top out for the sink.  Then we used a spade bit to drill the holes for the faucet and spray hose.  Yes, it took two of us because it is small and awkward.


I added racks on the inside of the oven and two small storage bins for the refrigerator.  I swapped the orientation of the doors and added handles.  I added red lights in the oven, and white lights for the refrigerator.  I bought lights that were activated by a magnet, so when you opened the door the lights would turn on.  

Then I decorated.  I bought the dishes, silverware, plates, glasses, pots and pans (IKEA).  I made small magnets for the door out of extra scrabble pieces.  I put tacks into the door so the magnets would stick. 


A kitchen wouldn’t be complete without food.  I made pasta from felt (using pinking scissors and a quick stitch).  Yes, felt food became an obsession (I added eggs, chips, cookies, and veggies).


I hope I didn’t bore you too much, and please stop back to see what we have been working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment